Saturday, January 5, 2008

Mama, Mama, You Didn't Tell Me

"Mama, Mama, you didn't tell me Christmas is Jesus' birthday!"

"William, remember how God's angel appeared one night and scared the shepherds who were guarding their sheep? The angel told them not to be afraid. He brought them good news. The Savior had been born. He said if they'd go to Bethlehem, they'd find him snuggld in a manger."

"I remember that. I do, but Mama, Mama, you didn't tell me Christmas is Jesus' birthday!"

"But William, every Christmas Eve we go to church. We sing 'Silent Night' and 'Hark, the Herald Angels Sing.' Last year you sang 'Away in a Manger' in the Christmas program."

"I remember that. I really do, but Mama, Mama, you didn't say Christmas is Jesus' birthday!"

"William, don't you remember the bright star in the sky above the stable where Joseph, Mary, and Jesus were? We always put a star on the top of our Christmas tree. And remember the Wise Men who followed that star? They came from far away to bring presents for Jesus."

"I remember that. I really, REALLY do. But Mama, if Christmas is Jesus' birthday I want to bring him a present, too. I've never, ever given Jesus a present for His birthday. Mama, Mama, why didn't you tell me Christmas is Jesus' birthday?"

"William dear, I thought you knew. Well, this year we'll both make it a special birthday for Jesus."

"Happy Birthday to You. Happy Birthday to You.
Happy Birthday, dear Jesus. Happy Birthday to You!"

No comments: