Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Word Became Flesh

"How many more days 'till Christmas?"

Starting December first, that was my constant question. Even though my parents tried to limit the anticipation and excitement to a two or three week time frame, my focus was Christmas and what Santa would bring.

In our home there was no emphasis on Christmas being Jesus' birthday, but at Sunday school we kids memorized the Christmas story from Lluke 2:8-14 and sang the carols that announced His birth.

A stained glass window in our church showed Jesus, the Shepherd, holding a lamb. When the church was decorated with red poinsettias, I knew this was the Jesus of Christmas. When the decorations were put away, He was still my Jesus, my Shepherd. I didn't know the theology behind "the Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us," but I knew Jesus came, lived on earth, and died for my sins. Jesus loved me and was always with me. I knelt by my bed and prayed and He heard me. He was my way to God.

Later I realized He had indeed transferred me from the kingdom of darkness to His kingdom of light. When Jesus came from the Father, He brought a gift no one else could give - the gift of Himself, the promised Savior of the world.

Merry Christmas,
Paulita

No comments: