Friday, March 21, 2008

The Reason for the Season

This morning as I sat in my living room doing my Bible study, I heard the sound of a chain saw outside my window. I turned and looked. There was a city crew beginning to cut down my next-door neighbor's tree. I turned away. I hate to see a beautiful tree cut down, and this was a seemingly healthy blue spruce. Within minutes I heard the tree fall and looked again. Quickly the crew cut off the branches and fed them into the grinder that chewed them up and blew them into a larger truck. Finally the men loaded pieces of the large trunk into the grinder, then swept up the remainding debris in the street, and drove off to their next job. It was over.

As I sat staring at the stump, I thought of two other trees, one a man-made symbol and the other God-ordained. The first is, of course, is our Christmas tree, the symbol of life, the celebration of Jesus' birth here on earth. The other is the symbol of death. "He himself bore our sins in his own body on the tree, so that we might die to sins and live for righteousness; by his wounds you have been healed."

That is the reason Jesus was born.

On Good Friday, 2008 years later, lets remember "He was wounded for OUR transgressions, he was bruised for OUR iniquities; the chastisement of OUR peace was upon HIM; and with HIS stripes, WE are healed."

May you receive the blessings of this season from God our Savior,
Paulita

No comments: