Wednesday, March 12, 2008

French Hens and Cats

About ten years ago I decided to make a Christmas tree skirt. I found patterns for making "The Twelve Days of Christmas" figures out of colored felts. It took me several years to complete the skirt because I only got inspired in December. Finally with all twelve figures glued in place and fringe sewed around the edge, I proudly displayed my Christmas tree skirt under the tree. Of course, within a few days it was covered over with presents and hidden from view (except for the fringe) until after Christmas. But each year I take it out and enjoy it again.

We now have a cat who thinks we put a tree in the livingroom once a year just for her. She sleeps under it and knocks off an ornament about every other day. That's OK by me, but when she started playing with the French Hen's tail feathers, I drew the line. I turned the skirt around and put the French Hen to the front where I can keep my eye on it. You can guess where I put the first present that goes under the tree.

So far the other eleven figures seem to be surviving the years and the cat. But I told the cat she'd better watch out because Santa knows if she's been bad or good, and SO DO I.
Paulita

No comments: