Saturday, August 30, 2008

Handel's Messiah

One of the great oratorios most often performed at Christmas time is Handel's Messiah. In fact Christmas doesn't seem like Christmas without singing in, or at least attending a performance of the Messiah. But I found out that Handel meant for his oratorio to be performed at Easter.

Handel composed his oratorio in 1741 from August 22nd to September 14th. (24 days !) That means that he composed it around this time of year. It was first performed for a charitable concert in Dublin, Ireland the next spring on April 13, 1742. Every year after that, starting with March 23, 1743, it was performed in London.

My copy of the Messiah includes the Scriptural words as part of the table of contents. I took the time to find out where they were located in the Bible and then I wondered who it was who chose them for this oratorio. It was not Handel! It was a man named Charles Jennens. He is not even mentioned as the compiler in my copy. My information said he chose Scriptures for other Handel works, too. It also said he was not too happy that Handel had whipped out the music for his chosen Scriptures in only 24 days! Little did he know of the lasting impact the Messiah would have on both Christians and non-Christians throughout the centuries.

I am going to use the next few blogs to write out the words and then see if they are the ones I would have chosen to tell Messiah's story. I'll also find out if we should be singing this oratorio for Christmas, Easter, or both.
Merry Christmas,
Paulita

No comments: