Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Precious Gifts

My, how time flies. This month is almost half over and already more than a third of the year has passed. Only 225 days left until Christmas!

I was actually reminded of Christmas when I received a Mother's Day flyer from a charitable organization we support. It showed gifts I could purchase in honor of my (or someone else's mother) which would benefit a child or family in a third world country. I could buy a goat for $75. I could feed a mother and her children for $50. I could purchase two chickens for $25. (Imagine!) I could provide hope for exploited girls for $35, or enroll a girl in school for $35.

All are worthy gifts to give in someone's honor. All of these, since it was Mother's Day, had to do mainly with females. I personally liked the two chickens, a source of fresh eggs and the ability to increase a family's income for only $25. I love chickens!

Anyway this reminded me that I receive a similar flyer every year about a month or so before Christmas. It has been my habit to pass the flyer around to our granddaughters (We haven't included our grandson, but we will this year.) and let them choose something for $15 or less (There are a lot of items to choose from). Last year two of them put their gift money together and provided help for exploited girls. The other chose an animal gift because she is very interested in animals (ROP animal husbandry class at high school). Each child gets a thank you card from the organization acknowledging her gift.

Often I feel that this is my most rewarding gift giving.
Merry Christmas,
Paulita

No comments: